- Ali, A. Mukti. 1957. The Muhammadiyah Movement: A Bibliographical Introduction.” M.A. thesis at the Institute of Islamic Studies, McGill University, Montreal.
- Baharuddin, Rahmawati. 2000. TheMuhammadiyah movement: its rise and development in West Sumatra : a study of Islamic educational reform during the Dutch Colonial periode. S.l: s.n.].
- Basya, M. Hilaly. 2010. Religious leaders and democratic transition in post-New Order Indonesia: a study on the role of Muhammadiyah scholars in reducing radical Islamic movements. MA Thesis-- Leiden University.
- Bonavidi, Rinjani. 2001. Developing more effective reading materials and activities for the first year students of Mechanical Engineering Department at Muhammadiyah University of Malang, East Java, Indonesia. Thesis (MEducation)--University of South Australia, 2001.
- Boy, Z.T.F., Pradana. 2007. In Defence of Pure Islam: The Conservative-Progressive Debate Within Muhammadiyah. Thesis (MA) - The Australian National University.
- Burhani, Ahmad Najib. 2004. The Muhammadiyah's attitude to Javanese culture in 1912-1930: appreciation and tension. Thesis (MA) - Universiteit Leiden.
- Burhani, Ahmad Najib. 2007. Pluralism, Liberalism and Islamism: Religious Outlook of the Muhammadiyah Islamic Movement in Indonesia. Thesis (MSc) - The University of Manchester, UK.
- Husein, Rahmawati (Ama). 2000. Informal finance for microenterprises in Indonesia: a case study of Muhammadiyah credit programs. Thesis (Master of Community Planning)--University of Cincinnati, 2000.
- Djamal, Murni. "Dr. H. Abdul Karim Amrullah : his influence in the Islamic Reform Movement in Minangkabau in the early twentieth century". M.A. diss., McGill University (Canada) ,1975.
- Hatta, Muhammad. 1966. Pergerakan Muhammadijah (1912-1945). Skripsi (B.A.)--Universitas Gadjah Made, Jogajakarta.
- The Muhammadiyah movement in twentieth-century Indonesia: A socio-religious study
by Jainuri, Achmad, M.A., McGill University (Canada), 1992, 136 pages; AAT MM74543
- Johnson, Troy A. 2006. Islamic Student Organizations and Democratic Development in Indonesia: Three Case Studies. Thesis (M.A.) -- The Center of International Studies, Ohio University.
- Miswanto, Agus. 2010. Introducing Human Rights Education in Indonesia: the Experience of Muhammadiyah Schools 2005-2010. MA Thesis - Institute of Social Studies, the Netherlands.
- Muhammady, Idris. 1976. Kiyai Haji Ahmad Dahlan, his life and thought.
M.A., McGill University (Canada), 1976; AAT MK29372
- Nurdin, Ahmad Ali. 2003. The Muslim women's movement in Indonesia: a study of the Aisyiyah organisation, 1966-2001. Thesis (MA(Hons)) -- University of New England, 2003.
- Rais, Zaʾim. 1994. The Minangkabau traditionalists' response to the modernist movement. MA Thesis. McGill University
- A study of `Aisyiyah: An Indonesian women's organization (1917--1998)
by Ro'fah, M.A., McGill University (Canada), 2000, 106 pages; AAT MQ70620
- Colonial experience and Muslim educational reforms: A comparison of the Aligarh and the Muhammadiyah movements
by Ruswan, M.A., McGill University (Canada), 1997, 147 pages; AAT MQ37234
- Sefland, Signe. 2005. 'Aisyiyah og visjonen av det sanne islam: reislamisering gjennom sosialt og religiøst arbeid i Padang, Sumatra. MA Thesis. Norwegian.
- Shabir, Muslich. 1991. The educational reform of the Muhammadiyah movement in Indonesia: a reflection of Muḥammad ʻAbduh's influence. Thesis (M.A.)--University of Utah, 1991.
- Sudiarto. 2003. A Comparison of teaching methods and their effect on students retention of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) knowledge and skills at the Muhammadiyah nursing academy of Semarang, Central Java-Indonesia. Thesis (M.Nus.)--University of Melbourne, Faculty of Medicine,Dentistry and Health Services, 2003.
- Supratignyo, Titi. 1980. A study of alternative schooling in Indonesia: the Muhammadiyah schools in Central Java and Yogyakarta region. Thesis (M. Ed.)--La Trobe University.
- Tanthowi, Pramono Ubaid. 2008. Islam, civil society and democratization : the case of Muhammadiyah and Nahdlatul Ulama in post-Suharto Indonesia. Thesis (M.A.)--University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Yusuf, Milhan. 1995. Hamka's method of interpreting the legal verses of the Qur'an: A study of his "Tafsir al-Azhar". M.A., McGill University (Canada), 1995, 118 pages; AAT MM07968